Saturday, January 2, 2021

Heron Lore

 

The heron is a bird of the four elements -- the cool waters salt and fresh, the open air above, the anchor of the earth, and the rising and setting sun. In mythology, the heron symbolizes similar things in nearly every culture you examine. To the native people of the land where I dwell, the Coast Salish, the blue heron symbolized fortune, grace, and patience. The Scots, my ancestors, considered the heron the messenger of the gods and a symbol of peace. In China, the heron symbolized intelligence and long life, while Japan also imbued the Heron with fortune and guidance. 

I can sit for hours by the sea or a lake, watching an elegant heron fish patiently. I love to watch the metamorphosis from earth to air - few things inspire me more than the ungainly takeoff of a heron as it quickly morphs into the most graceful flying beast one could hope to see. 

Courtesy Arikla

I'm a bit superstitious about herons. When things weigh heavy on me I tend to seek out areas where herons tend to congregate. The superstitious Celtic blood begins to flow, and I watch the graceful keepers of the shore closely, looking for a sign, for guidance, for something to ease my mind. Oddly enough, the heron usually delivers, or at least my overactive imagination does, and I will eventually leave with a lighter heart and a lesser burden on my shoulders. 

Lately I have been watching the herons closely, and in turn they sometimes watch me. The world is changing quickly, and as it is turning I sometimes think we both are afraid that we are going to fall off the edge of the sea. If this does occur, I hope the lesson of the heron will enable me to quickly recover and launch into flight to gracefully greet the future. 

courtesy George Pennier

No comments:

Post a Comment

Divination: Woo Meets Science for the Win!

  Casting staves. Reading tarot. Drawing up your chart. Divination and fortune telling is a tricky thing, really. As a woman of science and ...